As scientists a large part of our work is about clearly communicating what we do and why we do it to our peers and to society, this is especially true with environmental science.
Writing is a large part of this endeavor and thankfully there are some wonderful resources to help hone in this skill including:
Writing science by Joshua Schimel
The Elements of Style by William Strunk and E.B. White
Writing Science in Plain English by Anne Green
The Scientist’s Guide to Writing: How to Write More Easily and Effectively throughout Your Scientific Career by Stephen B Heard
Advice on when a manuscript is ready to submit.
Outreach to a non-science audience is also highly encouraged within the research group.
Here is some of Gen’s previous Science communication experience
Blogger and founding member of Montreal at your Ecological Service (2012-2015)
Why I study Phosphorus? (Finalist in the #McGillAndMe contest)
Radio interviews at Montreal par la Racine show on CIBL radio (feb 18 2014), Desautels show on premiere chaine de Radio-Canada, Ecolibrium. CKUT 90.3FM. McGill Student Radio.
Print interviews with McGill Reporter,McGill Headway Magazine, The Western Producer, Le Soleil
Public lecture about food production in cities at Ashtanga Montreal Studio (2012)
- Substance P+Atomic #15 (live performance at Festivale d’art souterrain and Nuit Blanche 2014. Montreal, Qc. With The/Le Sensorium.) Also featured on La Fabrique Culturelle, and performed again at the Redpath Museum)
- The P-ness of it all (video installation at Sustainable Phosphorus Summit,and the Step Gallery Feb. 2011 Tempe, AZ. Collaboration with Edgar Cardenas).
- Got Bones? Got Ca? Got P? (Photography at Sustainable Phosphorus Summit,and the Step Gallery Feb. 2011 Tempe, AZ. Collaboration with Joshua White)
- Dance your PhD 2010 (runner-up for social science category for international contest sponsored by the American Association for the Advancement of Science)
- Blog post about workshop outcomes from the 4th Sustainability Phosphorus Summit in Montpellier 2014, on Sustainable P Initiative website
- Short Essay on a future vision for a sustainable P future. Selected competitively and published in the SCOPE newsletter, August 2014 n°106.